ARCHES is now hiring two casual Primary Care Paramedics (PCP) for Supervised Consumption Services (SCS). PCP will work 12-hour shifts, either days (07:00-19:00) or overnights (19:00-07:00). Casual PCP’s are able to pick us shifts as needed, with a minimum requirement of one shift worked every two months.
Primary Care Paramedic
Reporting to the Supervised Consumption Services Program Managers, this position functions as part of an interdisciplinary team, seeing clients from diverse populations. This position requires a professional who is committed to harm reduction and passionate about working with people who use drugs and/or are living with mental health issues. The PCP will work in accordance with the Alberta College of Paramedics (ACP) and within the context of a client centered care model, a harm reduction framework and the vision/values of ARCHES, critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills to provide care to individuals accessing services at ARCHES.
In this role, the PCP is responsible for: comprehensive physical and mental health assessments, critical thinking and clinical problem solving within the team, delivery of harm reduction supplies, supervised consumption clinical interventions and education, de-escalation techniques, naloxone distribution, basic wound care, sexual health and other health education and support, and referrals to other health and social services.
It is the professional responsibility of the PCP to demonstrate effective oral and written communication as well as maintain good physical and mental health. Through integration, the PCP will perform assessment and diagnostics to provide basic medical treatment. The PCP will maintain equipment, supplies and medications. The PCP will advocate health promotion and public safety for all clients, team members and self.
– Completion of an accredited Primary Care Paramedic Program;
– Active registration with the Alberta College of Paramedics, as a Primary Care Paramedic;
– Current operator’s license;
– Current basic cardiac life support/health care provider;
– Computer literacy skills;
– Must be able to support a flexible work schedule;
– Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to enable working directly with clients, peers and interdisciplinary team;
– Ability to function independently;
– Demonstrate ability to work as a team member;
– Excellent at working in a dynamic fast paced environment;
– Work well under pressure and stressful situations;
– Experience in a wide range of assessment;
– Health promotion, harm reduction and follow up care;
– Must understand and practice within full scope of profession;
– An understanding of harm reduction principals and experience working with individuals with addictions issues is an asset;
– Physical ability to lift and transfer clients; and
– Eligible for Alberta College of Paramedic Accredited professional liability insurance.
Start date: Immediately
We offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Cover letter and resumé listing three professional references must be submitted via email to the Director of Operations, Jill Manning, at [email protected] before end of day on by 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 13th, 2019.
ARCHES is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those candidates considered for interview will be contacted.